Monday, June 16, 2008

Seriously, I thought I was selfish...

So, for the most part, I liked what I saw on the Tony Awards last night. Whoopie was entertaining, the young locals had their moment in the sun, the August: Osage County set reminded everyone out East that the Midwest does produce some mighty fine theatre, and...something else...what was it...?
Oh, yeah. Patti Lupone took a massive dump on stage in front of her family, her peers, the world. I wasn't around to hear her acceptance speech 28 years ago (well, I was around, but it would have been well after bed time), but if it had contained any of the self-important wallowing that last nights' tirade was sick with, I'm surprised anyone ever considered letting her up there again. Perhaps it took this long for all the old voters to die off or forget.
Listen [and this is just for Patti]--You had it all! You had everyone's respect, their awe, you've had a long, successful career, you've been a star of stage and television and screen, your show just cleaned up at the Tony's, you already have a Tony! Perhaps it might have been a little more magnanimous and, say, HUMAN of you to simply be grateful and maybe even congratulate the other hard working women in your category who don't already have Tony's, whose potential moment you soiled upon. I'm glad they stopped cutting to your family, for unless they have learned to completely block you out by now (and if it were me, I would have), they must have been horrified. If I were Whoopie, I probably would have said something. But, I'm sure she didn't get to host the Tony's by telling everybody what she thought of them.
Anyway, what price, fame? I believe Marilyn once said Hollywood would only give you a nickel for your soul. Well, Broadway can apparently save its money, because as Patti showed through her '28 Year Itch' last night, she doesn't even have one to sell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home