Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial...

This is a national day to remember those that have died in the service of this country. Although many members of my mother's family, my father's family, my wifes' mother's family, and my step-mother's family have served, none have died as a result of that service. That's the quick glance. The more in-depth one is to really investigate the kinds of things going on in the world. I live a pretty cush life. I'm not overly special--if something gets handed to me on a satin cushion, it's because I work my butt off to buy a satin cushion and ask somebody I know to hand it to me.
But I do enjoy a great deal of freedom in this country that many people elsewhere don't. In Egypt, there are laws against insulting the president. Here, there are talk shows devoted to it. In North Korea, the citizens, many of whom are starving, are forced and brainwashed into worshipping a small, strange man who has zero regard for their welfare. In this country, you worship anyone or anything and you become an object of negative opinion (except for yourself or celebrities--those are entities whose churches will always be packed). I'm not saying the latter is necessarily the best, but, I'd rather quietly say my prayers at the dinner table then loudly say them to an LCD screen, hand raised in salute, standing on the sidewalk outside my drab little cell, with AK47's trained at my back.
Ultimately, my only point in writing this evening is to mention that I for one am pleased about living here, pleased with the freedoms I possess, and am aware that it came with no little degree of bloodshed. I wish it hadn't taken that, but considering human nature, freedom such as ours will never fail to be worth its weight in blood. Take it or leave it, I suppose. And so I leave you with a line from a song I've probably left you with before--"If you can't change your world, change yourself, but if you can't change yourself, then change your world". (Matt Johnson)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home