Thursday, May 26, 2005

Who on earth reads this stuff anyway...

I think my wife may have turned in her notice at the children's acting school today. I don't know. I haven't talked to her yet. She had pretty much decided that is what would happen as of last night, anyway. Whereas I only lasted 3 months in the chaotic clutches of the 'AFK', she has held in there for just over a year. Is she better for it? I'll tell you down the road, when it's all safely out of sight.
The fun thing is, I have no idea what she's going to do, or how we'll recover financially, or whether or not a slightly banged up brand new Saturn Ion will soon be on the market. 'Cause you know, I can't sell my truck. I live in the South. That would be like trading in my manhood. Actually, like selling my manhood. Trading it in would mean I, too, would get a Saturn Ion. Not going to happen.
In other news, I actually put more effort into voting for the next American Idol than I ever have in voting for the next president of the United States. Perhaps if Kerry had pushed away the podium and launched into a feel-good version of 'Sweet Home Alabama' during one of the debates, or if Bush would for once just put on some polyester and give us a soulful rendering of 'Vehicle', I might actually be tempted to chime in. But alas, it is unlikely.

A friend of mine wrote a quick entry a couple days ago about 'moral relativism'. I thought I would mention it because I appreciate that people still stop and smell which way the wind is blowing. If I had to venture a guess at the popularity of moral relativism, I would suggest it has to do with every person's strong desire to make a god of themselves. To be in control, to be the final word on ethical and moral judgments, at least for themselves. Of course the next guy is entitled to his own godship and moralmakingness. As the pendulum swings, it seems, all-powerful godship has been scattered to mankind, each individual receiving just enough to pilot their own crafts into oblivion. Perhaps when it swings up again, our individual godships will be carried up to millions of individual gods who will carry with them our ideal images of self and being. Only this time around, each of us will have our own god-race to mythologize about. PolyMEism. They will romp and play and fuss about in an environment of our own choosing, and they will reign all-powerful in the lands between our ears, which will by that time be the only true free and unoccupied territory left in existence. Literally. Think about it (while you still can...).

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

"Polymeism", I love it.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home