Friday, October 29, 2004

Tomorrow and tomorrow and yesterday afternoon...

Theater of Blood. Can there be a better marriage of interests? Shakespeare and 70's horror movies. I just watched it again yesterday, and to my pleasant surprise, it didn't wash silly as most films I enjoyed when I was a scamp tend to do. This is, in my opinion, one of Vincent Price's finest hours (and 45 minutses). He always seems to best fit those characters who exist beyond the tall, dark, brooding, maniacal stereotype. As the Later Matheson-scripted Poe adaptations (for example, The Raven) show, he is quite adept at morbid humor, and, as we see in this picture, at Shakespeare. But who can blame him--any movie where you can offer several of the best Shakespearean soliloqueys, serially murder annoying British stage critics in very creative and literate ways, and have Diana Rigg as your daughter has all the ingredients for a cool-salad that never spoils. We've all heard it, but I need to say it once more: they just don't make 'em like they used to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home