Friday, October 15, 2004

Warm, fuzzy, AND it makes you think...

I just saw a local production of "A Man of No Importance", a wonderful Irish musical about a man who loves the theatre, Oscar Wilde, and another man (in Catholic Dublin, no less). It is a hearbreaking show, in a way, even if it ends on a somewhat hopeful note. It could be due to the truth of the characters' lives. There is a theme of being in prison, of looking in the mirror and not being honest about what you see there. It could be Wilde's mockingly blithe yet utterly accurate proverbs. I suspect much of it had to do with the intense and wonderful portrayals by the actors themselves, something rare and refreshing on stage these days.

The man who played the lead character in the show co-owns a company that my wife works for. He has been living in the South for many years now, doing theatre, assisting his wife in establishing the arts school, and helping to raise their daughters. For reasons that they alone understand (or don't, but have utilized nonetheless), in about two weeks, he will be moving to NY to take a job, and will quite likely attempt to continue acting (as well he should). Knowing them as I do, I realize how challenging this must be for the family, especially the daughters, who are both quite young.

The funny thing about leaving that play last night was that, instead of feeling raw and drained from the content, I went away feeling badly that I will likely never get to know this fellow very well, as I have wanted to, or to learn much of anything from him. It made me think of my own marriage, and how it is a challenge for me to be loving towards my wife in the way she needs me to be at times. Ultimately, it is teaching me that, much like an audience member, I am too often helpless before the circumstances, unprepared for the consequences, and just generally sitting in the dark.

Has anyone else noticed that Fridays are getting pretty heavy around here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home