Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Silent Chill?

Only slighty. It had the spooky little girl thing going on. Which makes sense, because the movie was based on the video game which is, yes, a Japanese company. And as we all know, the Japanese have an irrational fear of little girls. It's like my mother's irrational fear of frogs. Most frogs, like most little girls, generally have an awkward cuteness and are easy enough to avoid (unless you're from Utah or Virginia Beach, and to my knowledge, my mother has never been to either). Aside from that, I wasn't angry to have paid or anything. The female protangonist and supporting protagonist angle was refreshing, following on the heels of High Tension, a trend-setting French psychological thriller (which did not portray little girls in any way to my knowledge, let alone as scary, which makes sense, because the French do not have any sort of collective fear of little girls--their phobias range only from soap to politeness). It's kind of like Radha Mitchell sheds the helpless female role from Man on Fire and allows herself to get a little caustic, a little persuasive. That and she carries the demon avatar of her daughter's mother's inner child into the church, which just really makes things bad for the cult that hides within. But I digress.
Next time, I will explain why being trapped on a small island in the Atlantic with several over-medicated women is a great vacation idea (HINT--it involves a snorkel, fins, and lots of Ibuprofin)...

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

I like ibuprofen...

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home