Tuesday, September 07, 2004

"Way down in the hole..."

"The riptide is roaring and the lifeguard's away...but the ocean doesn't want me today."
I've been listening to Tom Waits. We should all be listening to Tom Waits. Right now. I'll wait. (Eric waits). Now, aren't you pleased with yourself? His words are to lyrics what Ray Bradbury's are to fiction. Manna--dark and a little crisp with something sweet and tangy spread on. "The captain is a one-armed dwarf, he's throwing dice along the wharf; in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king". Did you ever wonder what store he buys his broccoli at? I do.
I had a nice weekend. It's the first two days back to back that I haven't had anything (well, much) to do since my honeymoon. This past Sunday my wife and I visited a local baptist church, just to check it out. It was a contemporary service, something they just began. My wife was a bit more at home there, whereas I grew up in a big cold expensive Presbyterian church (which is how I understand most Presybterians like things) where we spent a good deal of time not getting worked up, not listening to modern instrumentation, and most definitely not raising our palms above our heads. Only when someone pulls a gun does a Presbyterian raise their palms above there heads, and then only after it's been jabbed into their back a couple of times.
Anyway, I actually enjoyed it for the most part, but one thing struck me as really interesting. During the collection, they showed a collage of filmed scenes that were based upon the life of Jesus--him healing the blind, speaking to the lawyers, rubbing elbows with John and Peter. But what hit me was the way the man playing Jesus got such a kick out of healing people, smiling and laughing and carrying on. It makes sense that if God created everything, he also created the sense of humor, which would lead one to believe that Jesus would be as hilarious as any comedian you might have seen, only not vulgar or tactless, as most of them tend to be, because he always knew his audience. I can't imagine imagine Jesus getting booed off stage, at least not in the early part of his career. Later on, that's another story. Everyone loves you when you're not taking a stand that alienates them. I guess that would be human nature, obviously a creation which preceeded the sense of humor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home